There are several reasons why your GP may recommend a visit to a dentist for a dental crown and dental bridge. Now, a dental crown is essentially a tooth-shaped cap.
It is applied to cover the surface of a tooth just above the gum line. It consists of three dental layers:
- The enamel: This is the outermost layer that protects the tooth.
- Dentin: The dentin provides support and structure for the tooth and
- The pulp: This is the innermost layer containing nerves and blood vessels
And, there are several materials that can be used for dental crowns. These include;
- Metal alloys like gold or silver
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) crowns that combine metal and porcelain,
- All-ceramic or all-porcelain crowns for a natural appearance, and
- Zirconia crowns known for their strength and durability
These materials offer different aesthetic and functional qualities. So, the type that would be recommended for you will be heavily influenced by your own individual needs.
What is the Purpose of a Dental Crown?
If you’re approved for a dental crown in Singapore, you can expect it to be custom-made to match your natural teeth’ size, shape, and color. This is primarily because they’re designed to provide both functional and aesthetic benefits.
To prepare your tooth for a dental crown, your dentist will remove a small amount of enamel to ensure a proper fit before securely bonding the crown. Here are the main purposes of dental crowns;
- Strengthening Weak Teeth: One of the primary purposes of a dental crown is to strengthen a weak tooth. Teeth severely decayed, fractured, or structurally compromised due to large fillings can become vulnerable to further damage. The crown acts as a protective barrier when placed over such a tooth. This way, it will provide strength and stability for the affected tooth or sets of teeth. This helps prevent the tooth from breaking or fracturing, thus preserving its functionality.
- Protecting and Supporting Cracked Teeth: Cracked teeth can be extremely painful and susceptible to further damage. Dental crowns are an effective solution to protect and support cracked teeth. The crown encases the damaged tooth, holding it together and preventing the crack from spreading. This relieves discomfort and preserves the tooth’s integrity, allowing you to bite and chew without worry.
- Restoring Worn-Down or Broken Teeth: Teeth that have been worn down due to grinding, clenching, or age-related factors can be restored with dental crowns. Additionally, teeth that have suffered significant fractures or breaks can also benefit from crowns. When carefully placed over the affected tooth, there is a high probability of restoring its original shape, size, and functionality. Crowns also provide excellent durability, allowing you to bite and chew comfortably.
- Supporting Dental Bridges: Dental bridges are used to replace missing teeth, and they rely on the support of adjacent teeth to remain in place. Dental crowns play a crucial role in this process by providing stability to the dental bridge. The crowns, called abutments, are placed on the neighboring teeth to hold the artificial tooth or pontics in place. This helps restore your smile, improve your ability to chew and maintain the alignment of surrounding teeth.
- Covering Severely Stained or Discolored Teeth: Some teeth may develop severe stains or discoloration that cannot be effectively addressed through traditional whitening methods. In such cases, dental crowns offer a reliable solution. The crown covers the entire visible portion of the tooth, concealing any discoloration and providing a natural, uniform appearance. You can enjoy a brighter, more aesthetically pleasing smile with a crown.
- Protecting Root Canal-Treated Teeth: A tooth becomes more vulnerable and prone to fractures after undergoing root canal treatment. To protect and strengthen the tooth, your dentist may recommend the placement of a dental crown in Singapore. In this case, the crown acts as a protective shield, preventing bacteria from entering the treated tooth and reducing the risk of further damage. It also restores the tooth’s functionality, allowing you to bite and chew comfortably.
- Restoring Dental Implants: Dental implants are artificial tooth roots used to replace missing teeth. A dental crown is typically placed on top of the implant to recreate the appearance and function of a natural tooth. The crown is custom-designed to match your existing teeth, providing seamless integration and completing your smile.
Is it really Necessary to get a Crown Though?
When it comes to major tooth damage, getting a dental crown in Singapore is often recommended. But is it really necessary?
To begin with, a dental crown is designed to cover and protect a severely damaged tooth. This is particularly important when the tooth’s structural integrity is compromised.
Correctly placed, it can help prevent further deterioration or potential tooth loss. The encasing that the crown provides creates protective barrier against bacteria and debris, reducing the risk of infection and decay.
Also, a dental crown strengthens the tooth to restore its functionality. Chewing, biting, and speaking can be challenging with a damaged tooth.
But with a crown it becomes easier to perform these activities comfortably and without pain. And what’s more, dental crowns offer aesthetic benefits. They are custom-made to match your natural teeth’ color, shape, and size.
This means that you’d be left with a uniform and natural appearance. This can significantly enhance your smile and boost your self-confidence as the crown blends in harmoniously with the rest of your teeth.
While cosmetic treatments like veneers or dental bonding may be suitable for minor chips, they might not provide the necessary durability and coverage for more extensive damage. In such cases, a dental crown is often the most effective and long-lasting solution to restore the tooth’s strength, function, and aesthetics.
Dental crowns serve multiple purposes in restorative dentistry. They can strengthen weakened teeth, protect and support cracked teeth, restore worn-down or broken teeth, hold dental bridges in place, cover severely stained or discolored teeth, protect root canal-treated teeth, and restore dental implants.
So, they play a vital role in maintaining oral health and improving your overall quality of life. If you’re convinced that you can benefit from getting a dental crown in Singapore please, consult a knowledgeable dentist. They will assess your condition and help you determine the best course of action for your specific needs.
If you’re in Singapore, get in touch with the team at An Dental to schedule your appointment. Contact or visit us at:
An Dental – Orchard Dentist | Dental Implant | Wisdom Tooth Extraction | Kids Dentistry Singapore
360 Orchard Rd,
#03-06/07 International Building,
+65 6513 9549
Hi, I am an Author who believes in making the life of their readers interesting with his writing. Writing was always my first interest. Ever since I was a teenager, I was already into writing poems and stories. Today, I have gained a great experience in my work. Check out my work and share your views.