Alprazolam is the active component in the brand, Xanax, and is used for the treatment of insomnia and anxiety as well. There are different forms of alprazolam and the amount of medication you take depends upon which formulation you are using, and other factors, such as body weight and age too.
The different formulations of this therapeutic available include:
- Regular-release tablets: available in 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg and 2mg strengths
- Oral disintegrating tablets: available in 0.25mg, 0.5mg, 1mg and 2mg strengths
- Extended-release tablets: available in 0.5mg, 1mg, 2mg and 3mg strengths
- Oral solutions: available as 1mg per ml liquid solutions
In addition to the type of formulation you are using, the condition you are using it for also plays a role in determining your dosing schedule.
Adults are generally advised to start treatment with a 0.5mg dose, administered three times a day. Depending on your tolerance to the active ingredients in the medicament and the acquired relief from your symptoms, your doctor may increase this dosage to not more than 10mg per day.
For the elderly, half of these recommended dosages are to be administered as seniors are particularly prone to enhanced adverse effects, such as the risk of accidental falling due to excessive sedation.
What Can I Use Xanax For?
In 2018 this medication was the 37th most frequently prescribed therapeutic in the United States, by way of example, recording more than 20 million prescriptions being handed out. Those with anxiety disorders find this medicine useful in helping them relieve the symptoms of panic and anxiety. This medication is particularly beneficial to those who have generalised anxiety disorder (GAD).
These anxiety pills are classified as benzodiazepines. This means that they act on the brain and nerve cells to produce tranquilising effects. The calming effects of these therapeutics make them appropriate for any situation where one may be feeling overly anxious or panic stricken.
- The food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends the use of Xanax 1mg for the treatment of panic disorders, with or without agoraphobia (the fear of any situation which may cause panic and anxiety).
- However, this is advised as a second-line treatment. Research shows that the therapeutic benefits of this medicine for the treatment of panic disorders can last anywhere from four to ten weeks, but there are incidences where treatment of panic disorders have been observed for up to eight months, without any apparent loss of benefit.
- Moreover, these anti-anxiety tablets can be used for relieving the symptoms of nausea and vomiting, in patients undergoing chemotherapy. In general, alprazolam is combined with other therapeutics for this intended purpose.
- Off-label uses of this medication include the treatment of insomnia. These anxiety pills may be useful in inducing sleep, for those who have insomnia, but the slight drawback of using this medication for the management of insomnia symptoms is that it reduces the duration of slow-wave sleep (deep sleep).
How Do I Take Xanax?
- Regular-release formulations: these are conventional tablets which are to be taken by mouth. Drinking sufficient water, when administering these tablets, is advised to assist in the transport of this medicine to the digestive system. It is important to swallow these tablets as they are intended, that is, in whole form.
- Oral disintegrating tablets: these are a form of the sleeping pills which dissolve in the mouth after oral administration. It is important that when you remove these tablets from the dispenser, your hands are dry as these pills are extremely soluble.
- Extended-release (ER) tablets: the ER formulation of Xanax is designed to be a controlled-release form of the therapeutic. These pills release the active ingredient in a regulated manner so as to prolong the duration of therapeutic effects. They often have longer onsets of action, as compared to the regular-release form, but should only be taken once a day and preferably in the morning. The ingredients of ER formulations are created to be slowly released so it is vitally important not to chew or crush these tablets as doing so may release the active component all at once, thereby leading to increased side effects.
- Oral solutions: Also known as ‘concentrates’, these liquid solutions are intended for mixing with beverages or semi-solid foods, such as applesauce. When administering these solutions, use the dropper provided with the medication. Do not store this formulation for later use, but rather complete the solution as a single administered dosage.
How Quickly Does Xanax 1mg Work?
- Xanax is a medication which is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream. For some, the therapeutic benefits of the medicine can be observed five to ten minutes, after administering a dose. For most though, the effects of this anxiety medication will be evident approximately after hour after taking the tablets.
- The peak levels of this therapeutic can be observed one to two hours, following ingestion. This is the time during which the medicament is at its optimal concentration in the body.
- These durations can be affected by the dosage of anti-anxiety medication you are using. For example, when taking higher dosages of the therapeutic, there can be elevated levels of the active ingredients in the bloodstream.
- Higher dosages of Xanax are, furthermore, associated with heightened side effects, such as headaches, nausea, dizziness and drowsiness too.
The Best Xanax Medication
Many people are favourable towards this anxiety medicine as it has the ability to create a short-term effect of euphoria. This is of particular significance especially for those suffering from anxiety disorders, such as GAD and social phobia.
Additionally, Xanax 1mg has been proven highly efficacious in the treatment of anxiety and panic disorders. In a study evaluating the efficacy of this medication, Ait-Daoud et al. (2018) reported that this anxiety medicine is highly safe and effective, when used appropriately. The researchers went on to add that the therapeutic effects of these tablets were beneficial but can also be addictive too. The toxicity of these anxiety pills were shown to cause dependence within a short time of using the medicine.
However, when administered in the correct dosing regimens, the benefits of this medication can far outweigh the risks.
You can easily buy Xanax online through reputable, safe online platforms.