When you want to start a coffeeshop in Amsterdam, you should be ready for the competition because there are about 160 coffeeshops in Amsterdam, and they are all located in the Red light district. Competition should not worry you because every shop has its unique design, and you could create your unique design for your coffee shop. Most coffeeshops in Amsterdam are usually places where people go to smoke weed, but you could also play chess, and cards, watch TV and chill with friends too. Since cannabis use and sex work are shared in Amsterdam, the Netherlands is known to be a very liberal country. Even if this is the case, you should know and understand the Dutch laws first.
Some of the marijuana laws in Amsterdam are;
- When you are found in possession of weed, you can get arrested, but if you are found with 5grams of weed, all you have to do is hand it over to the police, and you shall not be charged.
- If you are found with more than 5 grams of any drug, you can be sentenced to prison.
- You must be 18 years and above to be able to purchase any drug.
- Growing weed in your home is illegal.
- The use of hard drugs is not allowed.
- Import and export of drugs are illegal.
- You can only smoke weed in Amsterdam coffee shops and not in public.
Rules in Amsterdam coffee shops
- You should be 18 years or older to be allowed to enter any coffee shop in Amsterdam. Also, make sure you carry your ID.
- You are only allowed to visit the same coffee shop twice.
- You can purchase 5 grams of weed per day.
- The use of alcohol and cigarettes is not allowed.
- You must not cause a problem.
- No use of hard drugs while in the coffee shop.
Weed pass law
Most tourists who visit Amsterdam usually visit coffee shops to buy weed, and most residents don’t like it because tourists buy too much weed. Hence the government came up with a weed pass, and you can only be allowed into the coffee shop when you have a weed pass, but this only applies to residents. Tourists can visit the coffee shops anytime and don’t need a weed pass.
The weed sold in Amsterdam coffee shops is potent, and they are different from what most tourists are used to. As a tourist, you are advised to order the pre-rolled joints or space cake if you are afraid of how you will react to the weed. You could ask the staff members for advice, so you don’t get affected by the weed.
Most coffeeshops in Amsterdam are usually a place where residents smoke weed. So when you start up your shop, make sure you know all the Dutch laws and provide your customers with the best quality weed as they come to sip some coffee. As a coffee shop owner, you need to know what sells more to focus on it more.