When you turn a place into your home, it transforms into a safe and pleasing haven. In the initial stages, like when you’ve just bought a new house, everything appears beautiful and convenient. However, as time goes on, every home inevitably requires maintenance.
Table of Contents
Home Maintenance in Subtropical Regions
Maintaining your home is an ongoing project, and it’s not the same for everyone. If you’re a resident of a subtropical region like Asheville, North Carolina, your home maintenance depends on the issues the region brings. Following are a few factors to remember when you have a home in Asheville:
- The humidity levels are high, so homeowners need to have proper ventilation systems in place. They also need to prevent moisture buildup, which would otherwise lead to mildew and mold growth.
- There are seasonal changes, including occasional snow and fall foliage. Gutter cleaning, winterizing the home, and other tasks are essential.
- The summers are very warm, requiring energy-efficient window treatments and the right kind of insulation to keep homes cool.
- The mountainous terrain in Asheville can result in certain issues that require regular home maintenance. Structures on an incline may need more effective drainage as well as erosion control measures.
When you live in a certain area, do keep such local considerations in mind when maintaining your home. You can consult your neighbors as well as experts on the local environment.
Not sure where to start your home maintenance process? Check out these tasks you need to perform to ensure an aesthetically pleasing and well-kept home:
1. Updating and Maintaining Your Windows
You can get the look of a well-maintained home by investing in new windows. If you live in a city like Asheville, as mentioned earlier, you need to find efficient window solutions to keep your house cool in the summer. You can start this process by looking up Asheville window replacement company near me. Hiring the right professionals for the job can help you execute this important task efficiently.
How can new windows make your home more comfortable?
Since Asheville experiences warm summers, residents might manage the heat with energy-efficient windows or other shading solutions. These will help to cool down your home without the need for constant air conditioning. Here are a few ways in which new windows can help in increasing a home’s efficiency and comfort:
- The materials in modern new windows can include quality seals and Low-E glass, which helps to keep home interiors warm during the winter and cool during the summer.
- They may also have more advanced locking apparatus, reinforced frames, and other features to prevent break-ins.
- If you get double-pane or triple-paned windows, less noise will penetrate from the street to your home.
- With well-insulated windows, the home will be less drafty and more comfortable throughout the year.
- They may have UV-resistant coatings. These prevent flooring, furniture, and other items from fading due to sunlight exposure.
- They will enhance the physical appearance of the home, especially boosting its curb appeal and market value.
When purchasing new windows, it’s best to stick with energy-efficient choices. You may also look at other factors, such as your budget, ease of installation, architectural style, and so on. Even after installing new windows, regular inspection, maintenance, and cleaning should be part of your home maintenance tasks.
2. Gutter Cleaning and Maintenance
Rain and melting snow cause debris to run down your gutters. As a result, the downspouts and gutter systems of your home can experience a buildup of leaves, small stones, and other elements. Regularly check these points for any clogging or other drainage issues. You can learn how to clean gutters yourself or call in a professional for help with major clogs.
While regular inspections are a must, make sure you check the gutters more frequently at certain times. Heavy rains, a dry fall, and other factors can result in blockages more often than usual.
3. Fire Prevention and Preparation
The dry season in cities like Asheville can result in bushfires and forest fires. If you’re living in such an area, take measures to clear any flammable objects or debris from the surroundings. Fires can also start inside the home, so keep the following steps in mind:
- Regularly check your smoke and fire detectors. They should be functioning properly at all times.
- Test and regularly replace batteries in carbon monoxide detectors.
- Keep a fire extinguisher in an easily accessible spot.
- Get fire-resistant materials for curtains, furniture, and any other items that might catch fire.
- Schedule regular inspections for your heating system, including the fireplace, space heaters, etc.
4. Plumbing Inspections and Repairs
Study the plumbing system of your home and see what it’s like. Inspecting and checking pipes and valves should be a regular part of any home maintenance routine. If all the taps and drains are working smoothly, a simple visual inspection should be enough. Here’s what to look out for:
- Discoloration or signs of rust on any metal parts.
- Plastic, polymer, or PEX crimping or cracking.
- Deposit of rust anywhere.
- Frayed metal on braided supply hoses.
- Unexplained drips or water seepage.
If you see any such issues, consider replacing that particular part. This proactive measure may prevent the damage from spreading. To stay on the safe side, call a professional plumber to identify the problem. You may also ask them to make the replacement since an inexperienced person shouldn’t deal with plumbing issues.
5. Maintain the Landscaping
Maintaining the structure of the home is important, but pay attention to the surroundings too. Weekly tasks may include raking leaves, mowing the grass, and keeping the pathways clear of debris.
If you have flower beds, tend to them at least once every 30 days. When you let dead leaves, debris, and weeds gather in these places, they can choke the flowers and cause them to die. These buildups of dead leaves can be fire hazards and also attract pests to your grounds. So look up some simple landscaping ideas and apply them wherever possible!
Putting in the right effort at the proper time can save you a lot of hassle. It will also ensure that your home stays safe and secure for everyone living there. Pay attention to the climate of the region you’re living in. It will tell you a lot about what to expect. The tasks above won’t take long, but they can increase the overall comfort and safety of your home.
Hi, I am an Author who believes in making the life of their readers interesting with his writing. Writing was always my first interest. Ever since I was a teenager, I was already into writing poems and stories. Today, I have gained a great experience in my work. Check out my work and share your views.