Spending time in nature is known to reduce stress, fear, and anger and improve mood. However, the crazy pace of life often makes it impossible to take a stroll in a park and be close to nature. Responsibilities related to the house and kids, not to mention the newer trend of working from home, confines people to their houses.
One way to spend time in the company of nature is to add nature-inspired elements to the décor of your house. At the same time, you can address numerous problems in your home by incorporating nature-based components. For instance, copper inhibits the growth of fungal spores due to its antifungal properties. So, decorating your house with copper-based products can deter mold and mildew growth on surfaces and materials. Such home décor ideas are especially suitable for areas like Kentwood, where hot and humid weather in the summer provides ideal conditions for mold growth.
Here are some home improvement project ideas inspired by nature to help you get started:
- Remodel Your Bathroom with Nature-Inspired Materials
While remodeling a bathroom helps improve its functionality, other times, renovation is carried out to address certain issues, such as mold and mildew. Since bathrooms always attract moisture, they are often the hub of mold and mildew growth. However, you can use the following nature-inspired tips to tackle this problem:
- Use natural stone tiles, bamboo flooring, and low-VOC paints to create a nature-inspired, mold-resistant environment.
- Use hemp and cotton shower curtains instead of plastic ones to prevent moisture retention and inhibit mold growth.
- Install recycled glass tiles in the shower area to add a shiny nature-inspired feel and develop mold resistance.
While mold can grow in any bathroom, it thrives in areas like Kentwood, where the hot summer (as hot as 90F) provides an ideal environment for mold growth. Opting for bathroom remodeling in Kentwood with the help of expert remodelers can help you tackle mold problems effectively. These professionals can also help you enhance the ambiance of your bathroom and customize it according to your needs.
- Place Plants at Various Spots
What better way to renovate your house with nature-inspired projects than decorating it with various plants? Plants not only add a touch of green but also benefit your home with their natural antifungal and air-purifying properties.
Here are some ideas to transform the look and character of your house by placing plants at strategic locations:
- Place some potted plants on the windowsill or on a shelf in your bathroom to take advantage of the natural light.
- Hang dried eucalyptus in the shower area to enjoy a pleasant aroma during showers.
- Lavender plants are a remarkable option for the living room. Place a lavender plant in a decorative pot on a coffee table or side table and let it spread its fragrance throughout the space. It will make your living area smell heavenly.
- You can also make a small indoor garden and add various fragrant plants, including peppermint. This will not only enhance the beauty of your living room but also offer some natural remedies for relaxation and digestive issues.
- For the kitchen, you can choose rosemary and lemon balm. These herbs will provide antifungal benefits and add fresh flavors to your cooking.
- As for the bedroom, aloe vera is a great choice. Place it on your bedroom nightstand to benefit from its air-purifying properties.
While keeping plants at various spots inside your house is a great way to lift the feel of your inside space, ensuring their proper care is also essential. Regularly inspecting these plants can protect them from pests or diseases and ensure their health. Always research a plant’s benefits and specific care requirements before bringing it into the house.
- Incorporate Raw Materials When Renovating
When renovating your house, incorporate raw materials to add a natural and rustic look to your house’s décor. Apart from bestowing authenticity and timelessness to your home, raw materials, such as natural wood, also make it trendy.
Some ways to use raw materials for your nature-inspired home improvement project are listed below.
- Use exposed wooden beams if you have high ceilings in the house to create an inviting and earthy ambiance.
- Natural stones such as river rocks or slate can be used as accents on walls, around fireplaces, and as stepping stones in the garden. Using natural stones strengthens your connection with nature and adds texture to your house.
- Use cork flooring in the living room and bedroom. The best thing about cork is that it is renewable and sustainable, with a natural and earthy appearance.
- Adding bamboo furniture is another way to decorate your house with natural materials. Bamboo is a sustainable material, grows extremely fast (4 cm per second), and adds elegance and timelessness to your space.
- You can use baskets made with rattan or wicker for storage solutions or decorative purposes.
- Create wall art or a unique shelf with driftwood.
- Use Recycled or Reused Pieces
Recycling and reusing material upholds the principle of sustainability and resourcefulness present in natural ecosystems. Using recycled materials helps you divert waste from landfills and repurpose them into making new things, preventing the overuse of natural resources.
Some ideas to use recycled materials and reused pieces in your home renovation projects are listed below.
- Use recycled glass for decorating backsplash, decorative wall accents, or countertops. Using recycled glass decreases the demand for new raw materials.
- Reuse materials salvaged from old buildings to incorporate history and sustainability into your living space. Salvaged wooden boards can be used for flooring. Similarly, old windows, doors, and moldings can be used in your new house.
- Reclaimed bricks and stones can be reused and repurposed to create beautiful accent walls and pathways for your garden.
- You can buy used or upcycled furniture to promote sustainability.
- Add Nature-Inspired Artwork
A nature-inspired home renovation project does not always have to be grand. You can also integrate nature into your house by adding nature-inspired artwork. There are numerous ways to do so. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Hang framed botanical prints on the walls, demonstrating intricate details of plants and flowers.
- Add landscape paintings depicting serene scenes in your house. Depending on your preference, you can choose artwork showcasing mountains, forests, or seascapes to create a calming and immersive environment in the house.
- If you like nature photography, add some of your captured pieces showing wildlife or close-up shots of plants and flowers. Besides adding character, these pieces will remind you of happy and adventurous memories.
- Create a large-scale nature-inspired mural on one of the walls of the house. It can transport you to a calm natural setting while still in your living room or bedroom.
Whether you plan to completely remodel your space or are looking for cost-friendly options to spruce it up, incorporating nature-inspired elements into your home is the way to go. There are countless ways to renovate your house through nature-inspired projects that can help breathe new life into it. Some of those home improvement project ideas have been mentioned in the article above. By following these ideas, you can not only create a calm and serene living space but also prevent a lot of waste material from ending up in landfills.
Hi, I am an Author who believes in making the life of their readers interesting with his writing. Writing was always my first interest. Ever since I was a teenager, I was already into writing poems and stories. Today, I have gained a great experience in my work. Check out my work and share your views.