E-commerce and cosmetics are two booming industries. Combine the two, and you get a $532 billion industry with customers in all corners of the globe. And there is potential in the market too. By 2025, the market is expected to surpass $800 billion in revenue. Some of the biggest celebrities today have their own signature cosmetic lines earning them millions through sales each year.
Is this where your passion lies too? Are you looking to start an online beauty business? Well, as exciting as the prospect sounds, there is extensive planning and personalization required on your part to make sure that the business can become a leading brand in the market. Knowing that, here are the steps that you’ll need to follow when establishing your company:
Table of Contents
Start by finalizing the product line and brand conceptualization
You should create a prospective brand image and choose a merchandise portfolio for your online store before deciding on a business strategy. This way, you understand the basics of running a business in this category before you jump into action. Knowing what to sell and how you are going to brand it will make it easier for you to decide on a lot of subsequent factors like the ideal operations model, marketing strategy, and the like.
Amazon and various other online stores are great places to start your research. You can find out about various products like concealers, classic eyelash extensions, lipsticks, skincare essentials, etc., through this simple step. The best-seller section on various websites can give you an idea about where consumer preferences lie.
Social media is also an incredible medium that enables you to gauge purchase patterns and behavioral aspects with respect to the target market. You also get a sense of what the ideal price range needs to be so that you don’t drive away customers because your items are too pricey or because they are skeptical that since you are underpriced, there must be something wrong with the product.
Finalize the operational strategy
Thanks to the internet and the evolution of e-commerce, there are diverse business models to explore. In some cases, you may only be sitting at home, managing the entire supply chain online with minimal investments. Here are some of the business model options that you can explore for your new online beauty venture:
- Dropshipping: This business model has become a trend, allowing startups to operate with zero inventory. Although you only act as a distributor here, you can set your own prices depending on what your target customers are willing to pay. The chain works with you receiving an order, you place the same order with the supplier who ships the product to you, and you can forward it to the customer,
- White labeling: As the name indicates, under this model, products are manufactured by one business but without any brand name attached to them. These products are intended for use by larger brands and online ventures. This solution allows you to move extremely quickly from ideation to execution, but you can have little control over product quality,
- Manufacturing: This avenue is one of the more challenging ones because locating a facility or establishing one on your own can cause numerous hassles. However, if you can, your products are manufactured exclusively, and you can deliver consistent quality to customers.
- Wholesale and warehousing: If manufacturing seems too much, the last option is to buy a wide variety of products, store them in a facility and then sell them through your online store.
Start developing your business plan
Creating a business plan for a beauty supply store is an essential first step in setting the company’s short- and long-term goals. A comprehensive business strategy for your cosmetic supply store can assist you in outlining your goals, identifying any roadblocks, and determining the resources you’ll require. Investors will need a concrete plan and proposal if you don’t already have the money for your venture to determine whether your online store has great potential and can generate profits.
Some essential elements of the business plan include:
- An executive summary that offers a concise preview of the business and its operations,
- A detailed introduction to the company
- Products or services that your business offers
- A comprehensive market analysis
- Intricate marketing plans for advertising the items
- How the business operations are planned to perform,
- A solid financial plan,
- Appendix and conclusion
Register your business
It’s time to officially register the online beauty product company now that you’ve finished writing your business plan. Ensuring you have the necessary seller’s permits and business licenses before starting is essential. Registering the business is mandatory because, without it, you can land in hot waters with the relevant authorities.
The IRS can provide you with an Employer Identification Number (EIN). An EIN, or employer identification number, is a special nine-digit security code that identifies your company and enables you to set up a company bank account and submit relevant paperwork. If you are not a U.S. resident, you will need to follow the procedures set forward by your local administration in this regard.
For more information, visit the websites of your state and municipality, or consult a local lawyer about the applicable laws. Additionally, if you produce your own line of goods, get insured. Cosmetics can cause skin rashes, allergies, and other problems. You definitely don’t want to get embroiled in legal disputes if you don’t have liability insurance.
Choose the platform you want to start with
Since you are building an online business, your sole medium of sales will be digital. However, you need to decide whether you want to use a third-party platform or build your own. There are various e-commerce platforms that can host your products to sell. You can benefit from their website traffic and existing customers while paying a small fee. On the other hand, you can create your own website or use social media platforms to target customers.
Setting up an online beauty business has prospects and the potential to generate extensive revenue for you. However, in order to be successful, you need to have a sound foundation because, in the absence of concrete footing, the business can fail before it even has a chance to get off the ground. However, with perseverance and a robust plan in place, you can turn your passion into a thriving business. Good luck!
Hi, I am an Author who believes in making the life of their readers interesting with his writing. Writing was always my first interest. Ever since I was a teenager, I was already into writing poems and stories. Today, I have gained a great experience in my work. Check out my work and share your views.